Saturday, February 12, 2011

Crossroads.

I sometimes wonder what I should blog about. A friend gave me an idea. Now I'll be blogging about the books I read. A review/summary of sorts. It's a very good way to ascertain whether I really gained something of the book or not. Some of the books I've read in the last 6 months worth reviewing are:

Marriage and Morals - Bertrand Russell.
India after Gandhi - Ramachandra Guha
No Full Stops in India - Mark Tully.
Freedom at Midnight - Dominique Lapierre  and Larry Collins. 


The obsession with India really started after I read India after Gandhi during Winter Vacations in December. Anyway I'll come up with my first review after my exams which are due in less than a week. 
I received a copy of 'Discovery of India' , the classic by Nehru which I'll be reading after mid-sems. I remember I first picked up that book in school (Was it VIIth?), read a few lines, yawned and promptly put the book down. Wont happen this time.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I first got Discovery of India as a birthday gift from my teacher when I was in class 5 or 6. I didn't start it until about two years ago. It's a great great book to read slowly. I count is as the best gift I ever got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember gifting myself nehru's 3 classics on my birthday in 2010. and i could hardly proceed after a few pages of discovery of india, though i've done his autobiography completely. that perhaps could be because nehru, in discovery of india, writes some personal things, about life in prison etc. before he actually begins writing some history. dont know when will i be able to complete it! :P glimpses of world history is an interesting read, but if you are really interested in world history, it would much quench your thirst - its more like a beginner to world history.

    ReplyDelete