Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Hero

You dont have to win to be a hero. You dont have to survive , be the last man standing. Those who equate  heroism with victory completely miss the point. A hero is on a plane completely different from others, one who puts his principles before his life.
One of best scenes in an otherwise tasteless movie (Inglorious Basterds) was this one. A German officer chooses to die rather than put the lives of his troops in danger. He is a hero and this scene from the movie will be remembered by me when all the other scenes have faded from memory.



Perseverance in the face of adversity.



Yes, of course he had to pay a price for being a hero. Being a hero ain't easy.


Photobucket

PS: This post marks the beginning of the phase wherein I test the "Sex and Violence sell"  hypothesis on my blog. 

6 comments:

  1. yet again something new and profound! a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you anonymous. I hope it wasn't sarcasm :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasteless?
    War is tasteless. Desperation is tasteless. The execution of revenge is tasteless.
    Tarantino knows this. We've had too many 'tasteful' war movies - a lot of melodrama and lovey-dovey emotions. 'Inglorious Basterds' portrayed the brutality and the mindless nature of war - different if not better, according to me.

    On a side note, when you stand for something despite the consequences, you are considered a hero by the people who uphold those principle(s) you stood for. That sums it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont think was an anti war movie that portrayed the mindless nature of war. I think it was rather a movie that parodied movies of the war genre which attempt to portray a realistic version of events.
    PS: I recommend 'Grave of the Fireflies' for an anti-war experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bah. I never spoke of it being an anti-war. For me, the movie didn't take a stand. It just showed me war - the mad, brutal side of it; on the front-line and back in the homes of the ravaged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, correct. I called it tasteless for the same reason. I felt he was trying to desensitize us to violence, pretty much like Saw or Hostel. Different ways of looking at the same thing.

    ReplyDelete